Sonntag, 20. September 2009

Auf Antenna mit Mantenna



Hi there,

Greetings and good news I bring to you my slightly sick-headed but good-hearted friends. Once again I was out there putting my enormous ears to the ground trying to find some quality music that we shall enjoy together during our next round of bridge. For this reason I sauntered into town to check out 999 who were due to play at the Glaswegian club Rockers. I needn’t lose too many words over the headliner whose song writing qualities should be apparent enough to all of us. They seemed keen to play quite a few of their newer songs from their 2007 Album “Death in Soho”, which weren’t at all bad, but I must admit that for most of the time I was waiting for them to play the older songs from their first two fantastic Albums. They know how to get the crowd moving anyway and finished the night in style welcoming the ugliest looking people in the crowd to come on stage and sing along to “homicide” as their last encore.

The next band to come on (before 999, I’m going threw the set backwards here, fuckin’ crazy huh?!) were the Weegi locals known as fire exit. The guys have been round for some time and also certainly know how to rock the fuckin’ hoose. They included a few nice cover versions, which I seem to have forgotten due to the fine ales I have been consuming lately (shite they are tasty…).
Before fire exit the Zips had the pleasure of amusing the crowd. They did alright but somehow didn’t get me too excited. Dun no, was probably just tired or thinking of something else at the time.



So if you will let me rewind to the very start of the evening I would tell you how I was just sitting at the bar sipping my lager (no ale served) and wondering what these guys named the red eyes might be like. I probably wasn’t expecting much, just sitting there waiting for them to get on with it. Although I kind of thought that the one guy looked allot like Hateful’s singer Alex (silly me hadn’t seen that it actually said Hateful on his t-shirt, which kind of gave it away). So there I was sitting there, not expecting much but quite quickly acknowledging that these guys were pretty cool. Catchy tunes and honest sounding lyrics were slowly but surely making me rather curious. It’s the kind of band that will just make you want to tap yer toes and nod yer head. Tune in and enjoy that’s what I was doing anyway. And I’ll give front man Alan extra credit for not only wearing a fine St. Pauli t-shirt but also seeming to know where they stand right now (“ME: Nice shirt pal have yi hird they’re top of the table, dooin’ quite well eh? HIM: Aye, tzweite bindisliga eh!).


Well anyway, I got chatting with the red eyes drummer Andy at some point (top bloke) who handed over their brand new Album “from the outside in” which can definitely live up to the high expectations I had after seeing them live. Tracks like “back in the day” or “Dumbing down my World” (We’ve all come across jerks like that eh?!) are hit in yir face with a great deal of cool ease and convincing determination. The track “blind” sounds allot like a well known Undertones tune. I suppose you could describe their sound as somewhere between The likes of such playful melodic bands as the Undertones, Eddie and the Hot Rods or the Jam and slightly rougher oi! approved bands as Hateful (obvious influence), Chelsea and The Partisans. However, I was well pleased to by stranded in Glasgow with no other music on me (couldnae find ma fuckin’ mp3 playir) than the marvellous red eyes long player “from the outside in” and razor blade smile’s brand new demo, also a band to watch oot for! Salntje!!!


4 oot of 5 Mantennas

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen